Long before the valley of the River Bargoed filled up with woollen factories and weaving shops, there was a mediaeval corn mill here where Y Felin Newydd (The New Mill) now stands. Tenants within the Lordship of Emlyn Uwch Cych were obliged by law to bring their corn here for grinding - much to the profit of the miller and the Lord!
Before you take the trail, have a look at the terraced line of weavers' cottages at Glynteg above the farm and chapel. The trail leads to Penboyr Church with views of Cwm Gilfach and Glanbargod mills. One of the colourful characters of the locality was Gustav Bridlik, a native of Czechoslovakia, a giant of a man; he settled in the area in the 1940's. He was the owner of Dolgoch and Glanbargod Mills.
Next to the church are the remains of a motte and bailey castle called Tomen Llawddog. It commands the high ground in what was a frontier area between the Tywi and the Teifi valleys. Although the church is of modern build, its site is ancient. Some believe it to be Roman. St Llawddog, the patron saint, was venerated throughout the ancient commote of Emlyn. But the church is remote from the woollen industry villages - it was a long haul to bring a coffin along these tracks for burial.